Thursday, May 29, 2008

One Final Bottle - by Mommy

Note: I wrote this entry a few days ago when we were using up the last of our formula. I just assumed that it would be Grant's last bottle since he is on whole milk now and uses a sippy cup. Come to find out breaking "cold-turkey" from the nightly bottle is not as easy as I thought it would be. So technically this was not Grant's last bottle because we still give him a whole milk bottle at night. But the memories and feelings from that night when I thought it was our last bottle together are so precious and special I thought they should be recorded.

Tonight was just a regular night, Matt was giving Grant his bath and I was in the kitchen making his nightly bottle. When I went to pour the formula in his bottle my heart sank a little.....there was just enough formula for this last bottle. There would be no more running to the store for more formula tomorrow morning, this was it, my little baby did not need formula anymore. So I poured the bottle and it began to warm up. As it warmed out came a freshly cleaned Grant in his daddy's arms. He always looks so cute after his baths. His wispy blonde hair was slicked back and his face was bright and shiny from all the lotion we lather on him ever night. He smiled at me with his tired eyes and streched out his arms toward me as I came closer. I engulfed him in a huge bear hug and off we went to get his bottle.

Usually, for Grant's nightly bottle, we sit in the living room on the couch and watch whatever reality show is on TV, but tonight was special. So I took my little mister into his room, closed the door and turned off the lights. There, in the glow of the nightlight, we sat in the rocking chair and he enjoyed his last bottle blissfully unaware of my sadness at this milestone. I watched him as he put his little thumb in his ear then gently rubbed his hand over his eyes, a sure sign that sleep is near for a little Grant. I started to reminisce about all the times we sat in this rocking chair at 3am and I would think “is he ever going to finish this bottle so I can go to bed”. Tonight that bottle was finished all too soon.

After he drank the last drop I turned him around to face me so I could pat his back and he immediately started to point at things around the room, first the book on the nightstand, then the buttons on my shirt. He likes for me to name the things he points at so he can hear the words and begin to learn them. It was with that I realized that I should not be saddened by my son’s growing up, but I should rejoice in the fact that he is becoming a bright and beautiful little toddler who is so eager to learn new things.

Tonight I made a promise to myself to try not to be upset by what we may never do together again but to look forward everyday to what new things Grant and I are going to experience together in the future. I love you Mister!




2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! He is growing up so fast! I can't believe this was his last... But like you said, think of all the first's you have to look forward too!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and am sad that it has taken so long to find it! I spent all morning going back and reading all the things I missed- this one really made me tear up! You hit a heart string with this one! I'm sure every momma out there knows this feeling! I'm looking forward to being able to keep up with your sweet family now that I know your blog!!